WASHINGTON – Today, the Federation of American Hospitals (FAH) sent a letter to Democratic leaders of the House and Senate outlining priorities for their upcoming budget reconciliation package.
In the letter, which was addressed to Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, FAH President and CEO Chip Kahn wrote, “I am taking an opportunity to provide recommendations on the health care issues pertinent to your development of the budget reconciliation initiative. We are particularly gratified by early indications that you will focus on further improving and expanding health coverage for millions of Americans through the Affordable Care Act (ACA), and providing additional benefits for seniors under Medicare.”
Specific proposals highlighted in the letter include:
- Make permanent the enhanced ACA subsidies enacted in the American Rescue Plan Act
- Close the Medicaid coverage gap using the existing ACA framework
- Address skyrocketing drug prices using market-based approaches
- Support and maintain a robust health care workforce
- Promote health equity, particularly in underserved and rural communities
You can find the complete letter here.